Moist Vegan Olive Oil and Orange Cake. Light, sweet yet tangy, an absolute delight on the pallete, this is a very common cake in Greece, kids love licking the batter of the emptied bowl and mums love it because its vegan and there is no danger in doing so. Olive oil is an excellent ally in the kitchen and even in baked goods, you just need the right recipe.
- TIME NEEDED
- 60 mins
- 225ml GAEA Olive Oil for cooking
- 500g Self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 400g of orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 300g Sugar
- 1 pinch
- A shot of Cognac
- 5 grams of mastic (optional)
- In a bowl place the GAEA virgin olive oil, orange juice, sugar and beat well until the sugar dissolves
- In a mortar and pestle, grind the salt with the mastic (if using) and add them to the bowl
- Dissolve the soda and brandy in a cup and add to the mixture.
- Slowly add the flour and orange zest to the large bowl and mix
- Grease a cake tin of at least 27cm x 9cm depth and add the mixture to the tin
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 40 minutes
- Remove and allow to cool
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Garnish with lemon, grapefruit or Seville orange marmalade